Please contact us for further information
Phone: 0161 6242033
Boarshurst Business Park,
Boarshurst Lane, Greenfield,
Cavity Wall Ties PDF
Remedial Cavity Wall Ties
Killan Structural Ltd have been involved with all aspects of wall tie survey and installation ever since the company’s formation in the early 1980’s.
We have gained experience fixing ties of all types, into every type of wall construction and are confident in our ability to provide the best solution to any given problem.
Installing replacement wall ties in a uniform cavity wall is a relatively simple procedure and yet complications can easily arise through variations in cavity width, type and quality of the host materials etc.
Every job becomes unique and our teams are equipped to deal with developments on-site.
Cavity Wall Tie Solutions
The first stage of any job is a survey to establish the method of wall construction, the type, quantity and condition of any existing ties and any problems which may already have occurred.
- Locate the ties using a metal detector and note their pattern and density
- Drill inspection holes
- View a sample of ties in the cavity using a high intensity borescope
- Where necessary sample ties can be removed for further analysis
If the ties are found to be corroded then we recommend a complete replacement using an appropriate tie of the correct length.
If the existing ties are a thick metal type which can cause problems with cracking the joints then these should be removed or structurally isolated.
If everything is OK then we will not recommend unnecessary work!
The guidelines for remedial ties are contained in BRE Digests 401 & 329. BSI DD140 Part 2
Any work which we do undertake is guaranteed for both materials and workmanship and can be insurance backed through the Wall Tie Installers Federation.
Wall Stabilisation & Lateral Restraint
Strapping external walls to floor, ceiling & roof construction, internal cross walls, party walls etc.
This is a major element of the work that we undertake and has been used to effectively stabilise walls in many different types of property.
Our knowledge and experience of several solutions means that walls which may once have been rebuilt can be restrained at a fraction of the cost, with minimal disturbance and without the need for unsightly external plates.
- Our own design Structies for fixing to floor or ceiling joists or cross walls
- Drillties to connect external walls to floor joists & installed from outside the property.
- Joist end fixings
- Resin bonded fixings into internal cross walls installed from outside the property
- Front to rear tie bars hidden within the floor void and resin bonded into external walls
- Crack stitch repairs to fractures in masonry. Often used in conjunction with reinforcement mesh when plastered or rendered
- Stainless steel resin bonded pins to tie in stone jambs, door and window heads etc.
- Bespoke engineered solutions fabricated at our workshop.
Resin repairs to brick arches HMP Strangeways
Fixings to stone parapet Nantwich Parish Church
Structies for developments at Ingress Abbey Dartford & Hill Hall Essex
Masonry repairs and joist restraints at Murrays Mill Project, Ancoats
Crack Stitching & Masonry Beaming
We have extensive experience in the installation of masonry bed joint reinforcement. Stainless steel bars are grouted into mortar joints for a range of applications.
- Crack stitching
- Lintel reinforcement to stabilise brickwork above failed or omitted lintels
- Masonry Beams and introduction of longer spans of reinforcement to assist lateral restraint
Killan Structural Ltd are an approved installer for the Thor Helical range of products
We offer a range of surveys backed up by full written reports with photo evidence if required
- Cavity wall tie surveys using high intensity borescope and brick removal if necessary
- Laser verticality and level surveys
- Rope Access surveys for high/difficult access situations. Use of powered access platforms where appropriate. Fully trained operatives
- Hydraulic pull out tests for fixings installed either by ourselves or others
- Diamond Drilling for core samples
We have developed our own range of Structies for use in wall stabilisation schemes. Several standard sizes of Structie are available and others can be made to order to suit each job. They may be used to stabilise brickwork, blockwork or stone walls of solid or cavity construction.
The unique benefit of Structies is that they provide a solid fixing to both leaves of the external masonry.
Installation causes minimal disturbance and floorboards are lifted only where necessary. Where Structies run over joists, the joists are notched to accommodate the strap and allow refixing of floorboards.